Manoff Group, Inc. (TMG)
Senior Technical Advisor, Capacity Building
For over 50 years, The Manoff Group, Inc. (TMG), a woman-owned small business, has been an international leader in designing and assisting the implementation of social and behavior change programs that effectively promote healthy behaviors and allow populations to enjoy an improved quality of life. TMG’s innovative Behavior-centered Programming approach offers a practical methodology for realizing measurable and sustained behavior change at the individual, community and organizational levels. Our methodology is based on human-centered design principles and employs techniques from disciplines such as anthropology, behavioral economics, psychology, marketing and communications to strategically build programs that enable people to practice life–enhancing behaviors. All project work is carried out in the spirit of collaborative learning and co-creation.
USAID Advancing Nutrition is the Agency’s flagship nutrition project, led by JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. (JSI), under which TMG is one of a diverse group of experienced partners. Launched in September 2018, USAID Advancing Nutrition implements and provides technical support to nutrition interventions across sectors and disciplines for USAID and its partners. The project’s multi-sectoral approach draws together global nutrition experience to design, implement and evaluate programs that address the root causes of malnutrition. Committed to using a systems approach, USAID Advancing Nutrition strives to sustain positive outcomes by building local capacity, supporting behavior change and strengthening the enabling environment to save lives, improve health, build resilience, increase economic productivity and advance development.
The Senior Technical Advisor, Capacity Building will provide technical support and strategic guidance for the design and implementation of capacity building activities to improve maternal, infant, and young child nutrition (MIYCN), hygiene, nutrition-sensitive programming and other areas aimed at reducing malnutrition. S/he will provide technical leadership to design and carry out cross-cutting capacity building activities, linking learning to knowledge management, government and civil society counterparts, implementing partners, and other global stakeholders. The Senior Advisor will drive quality assurance to ensure that the project meets its work plan goals and objectives.
The Senior Advisor reports to the Knowledge Management Director and is based in Arlington, VA.
The Technical Advisor will:
• Provide leadership and oversight in the application of USAID Advancing Nutrition approaches, messages, materials, and tools to strengthen capacity for multisectoral nutrition efforts.
• Guide all capacity building activities through identifying promising program strategies, developing program guidance, and providing technical assistance to priority countries.
• Create and lead programming to strengthen political commitment, increase civil society and private sector engagement, develop systems to ensure adequate resources and supplies, and increase demand for services of all types.
• Drive and cultivate partnerships to increase national and global commitment for nutrition.
• Facilitate global and regional linkages to ensure development of quality, evidence-based technical tools and guides used to increase the capacity and resources available to USAID’s multisectoral nutrition priorities.
• Collaborate with the project’s monitoring and evaluation, learning and knowledge management staff to ensure strong coordination of capacity building, learning and research efforts across global and country specific activities.
• Collaborate with technical advisors and staff to design and develop improved training curricula for a broad range of potential users including USAID, other donors, implementing partners and governments
• Coordinate staff learning and capacity strengthening initiatives, including, but not limited to, technical materials for new staff orientation, mini-learning sessions during staff meetings or brown bags and others.
• Participate in program design and development of implementation activities (strategic planning, program presentation, advocacy and policy meetings), across technical areas.
• Contribute to the development of team (both global and country) work plans and budgets, ensuring consistency with project direction and strategy.
• Mentor technical specialists and advisors to facilitate professional growth and development related to capacity strengthening.
• Create and lead training for project staff to ensure that all technical staff is prepared to build capacity of government stakeholders, USAID Mission staff, civil society, and implementing partner staff
• Other duties as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The competencies listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may be assigned.
• Strong interpersonal skills and social-emotional intelligence; experience working effectively in teams and cross-cultural settings.
• Excellent time management and personal organization skills.
• Comfortable working in a matrixed, integrated work environment.
• Confident giving and receiving feedback in a direct, empathetic manner.
• Ability to direct multiple long and short-term activities simultaneously with minimal supervision.
• Demonstrated success in working with local government, civil society and NGO stakeholders
• Broad capacity strengthening, mentoring and training experience with a strong understanding of different knowledge transfer methodologies.
• Strong record of fostering new and effective partnerships, including participation in technical advisory groups, international consultations, boards, etc.
• In-depth experience undertaking and supporting research, data collection, analysis and writing.
• Demonstrated ability and affinity for delivering technical assistance in developing countries.
• Experience overseeing technical quality of activities to build capacity of a broad range of stakeholders.
• Knowledge of USAID and other donor policies, strategies, and program priorities preferred.
• Education: Master’s degree or PhD in nutrition, food security, education, public health, policy or related field.
• Experience: Minimum 15 years of experience in international public health programming with an emphasis on capacity strengthening, project learning and adaptation, adult learning methods, training and facilitation, civil society strengthening, or a related field.
• Ability to undertake field travel (approximately 30%)
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English. Fluency in French or Spanish desirable.
To apply, please send a CV and a cover letter by January 4, 2019 to email@example.com with ‘Senior Technical Advisor, Capacity Building’ in the subject line.
The Manoff Group, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. TMG complies with all applicable laws. TMG provides excellent benefits and a salary commensurate with experience.