Legal Counsel and Strategic Partnerships
We are looking for an experienced and pro-active Legal Counsel to join our Chairman’s Office in order to manage operational, strategic relationships and international legal matters for the Executive Co-Chairperson.
Qualifications and Experience
• Educated to degree standard and hold a bachelor’s degree in law;
• 6-8 years’ working experience with 2 years in a law firm or legal environment;
• International experience, and knowledge of African markets;
• knowledge of African culture/business norms, languages spoken etc;
• Track record of launching and project management of Scholarship Schemes;
• Experience with CSR work (corporate social responsibility);
• Have develop CSR strategy and championed this within an organisation;
• Track record of being a decision maker;
• Must speak at least one African language fluently;
• Specific experience in the laws of Burundi, Lesotho, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Kenya;
• Setting up and coordinating strategic partnerships in those above-mentioned countries and across Africa, liaising with government institutions in those countries particularly applicable/relevant Ministry of Education and/or Child Welfare organisation; and
• Experience with other legal jurisdictions across Africa where Econet is registered would be a bonus.
Key Result Areas
• Identify opportunities for the Econet Group of Companies to develop and, in some instances, to expand their Corporate Social Investment (CSI) initiatives in Zimbabwe, Rwanda, Lesotho, Burundi, Tanzania and the other African countries where subsidiaries of the Group are registered.
• Liaises and maintains communication channels with local and international partners in line with the vision and overall strategy of the organization. Maintaining the communication channels and the relationships is with a view to support the office of the Executive Co-Chairperson.
• Develop a checklist of partner obligations so as to monitor and ensure compliance with the investment and grant agreements
• Plan strategic partnership visits and follow ups in line with the strategic objectives of the organization.
• Negotiate and drafts agreement to achieve optimum results for the organization in line with the program objectives with 3rd parties, particularly strategic partners in Zimbabwe, Rwanda, Lesotho, Burundi, Tanzania and the other African countries where subsidiaries of the Group are registered.
• Establish the legal implications arising from agreements and advises the Company accordingly.
• Coordinate movement of agreements between various departments, strategic partners and attend to obtaining their signatures.
• Maintain an up to date contracts database for ease of reference by the Trusts.
• Monitor compliance to the contract terms and conditions that the organization imposes and/or are obligated to abide by and alerts the various departments of the requisite conditions and relevant timelines.
• Identify and review legislation that the organization must comply with where CSI initiatives are undertaken in Zimbabwe, Rwanda, Lesotho, Burundi, Tanzania and the other African countries where subsidiaries of the Group are registered.
• Interpret and advise on the implications of the applicable legislation for senior management, the Trustees and the Company. The legislation pertains to countries such as Zimbabwe, Rwanda, Lesotho, Burundi, Tanzania and the other African countries where subsidiaries of the Group are registered.
• Participate in meetings with regulatory bodies such as Charity Commission, the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Social Welfare in the countries where the company wishes to establish a CSI presence.
• Inform senior management of the outcome of meetings and addresses any findings from the meetings.
• Research on legal matters of interest or concern to the organisation and provides counsel on same
• Consult with departmental heads and discusses regulatory operational concerns and advises on the legal implications.
• Advise the business on all legal matters to avoid litigation through constant interaction with all affected business units. The litigation is limited to matters arising from CSI related activities of the Company in the various countries in which the Group operates.
• Capture litigation proceedings in weekly reports and Board reports and submits to the Chairman and the Executive Co-Chairperson.
• Participate in conciliatory process between the parties to avoid litigation and advises the Chairman and the Executive Co-Chairperson accordingly.
• Seek and engage external counsel where expert advice and/or for litigation purposes.
• Attend court appearance with external legal counsel but does not appear before the Judge.
• Interface with external legal counsel regarding the debt collection process for the organisation.
• Secure company intellectual and proprietary rights through registration of all trademarks and patents
• Act as custodian of all company vital records i.e. registration certificates, tittle deeds, share certificates and IP documents.
• Follow the laid down procedures in the registration of new products with new trademarks in liaison with external counsel.
• Advise external counsel to renew trademarks upon expiry of the trademark term.
• Company Secretarial duties to include, preparing Board and Committee packs quarterly, submitting to the Directors, Trustees and Committee Members.
Closing date: 2019/03/01
To apply for this job please visit econet.erecruit.co.