The Association of Public Health Laboratories (APHL) Zimbabwe Trust through a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Division of Global HIV/AIDS and TB Program (DGHT) is supporting the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) to implement laboratory strengthening activities for the Ministry of Health and Child Care (MOHCC) in Zimbabwe. Through this support, APHL is seconding a laboratory information management system (LIMS) developer/configuration officer to the MOHCC. The position will support the MOHCC and its partners in Zimbabwe to implement medical laboratory information management systems (LIMS).
The LIMS configuration officer/developer will support the development and implementation of LIMS in Zimbabwe. The incumbent of this position will work on a team within the Ministry of Health and Child Care to configure, enhance and further develop an exisiting LIMS at MOHCC laboratories across the country.
• Design, configure, and maintain and support LIMS Software.
• Interact with laboratory users to develop business requirements or user stories.
• Develop documentation and execute testing.
• Conform to coding conventions
• Conform to all change control and product release policies. Process LIMS change control requests
• Participate in the continuous process improvement of LIMS
• Provide technical help in troubleshooting LIMS application related issues.
• Work closely with the labs to understand their requirements for the LIMS and implement custom development projects to meet them (functional enhancements, custom workflows, data extraction, etc.)
• Working on LIMS configuration to meet end user requirements for LIMS users
• Work closely with various stakeholders for successful completion of various day-to-day LIMS tasks and ongoing support projects
• General system admin responsibilities, configuring user access and roles
• Triage and troubleshoot incidents/issues with LIMS and follow through to resolution
• Create, update, and maintain all standard operating procedures relevant to the LIMS
• Oversee and implement all upgrades and modifications to the LIMS, working in conjunction with the software validation team
• Performs necessary quality checks in conjunction with software validation team for all LIMS deployments and modifications
• Engage and work with LIMS software vendors and/or consultants to further configure the system, deploy functional enhancements, and correct configuration issues
• Improve predictability and reliability of LIMS releases and deployments
• Grasp technical issues related to the application with minimum support
• Maintain LIMS knowledge, including staying current on LIMS software capabilities and availability of new functionality and updates from the software vendor
• Responsibility for LIMS documentation, including, converting User Requirement Specifications to a Detail Design Specification, writing configuration Test Plans and summary reports
• Other duties as assigned
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills required:
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in an Engineering, Computer Science or IT related field.
• At least 5 years’ experience in an IT support role in life sciences preferred.
• 4-6 experience in LIMS configuration or maintenance preferred.
• Experience developing in Python and CoffeScript.
• Advanced knowledge of Linux (Debian-based) operating systems
• Experience in Plone framework is highly desired.
• Experience in ZoDB is desired.
• Experience with LIMS API development is desired.
• Experience in Git version control system.
• Experience developing formal technical specifications.
• Experience developing configuring LIMS software and related tools.
• Ability to maintain own workflow and meet deadlines.
• Experience with Lab IT systems architecture and integration.
• Proven ability to work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
Closing Date for Applications:
Interested candidates should submit applications no later than 5 November 2018. Submit applications (CV and cover letter) by email to: Sarah Snyder email email@example.com copying firstname.lastname@example.org; clearly marked LIMS Developer in the subject line.